Happy Independence Day to all the Jamaicans out there. Here are 10 facts you might or might not know.
1. Jamaica is the first in the Western world to build a railway only 18 years after Britain and before the United States.
2. The Milk River Bath and Mineral Spa is the most radioactive spa in the world. Its waters are nine and three times more radioactive than those at Bath, England, and those at Karlvoy Vary, Czech Republic respectively.
3. Jamaica is the first English-speaking country in the Caribbean to gain Independence, which was in 1962.
4. Besides the United States, Jamaica is the country which has won the most Olympic and world medals.
5. Jamaica is third place on the list of countries to have ever won the Miss World titles the most.
6. The Golf Club, in the parish of Manchester, is the oldest hotel in the western world and was established in 1868 in Jamaica.
7. Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
8. Jamaica is the first country to sign a Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria grant agreement.
9. Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bobsleigh team’s efforts inspired the film Cool Runnings.
10. Jamaica is the first country in the Caribbean region to launch a website, jamaicatravel.com. This was in 1994!
— Melaine WarrenFollow Me